- Sep 13, 2011
- Brendan van Son
- 2 comments
- 1543 Views
618 days ago
Want to Contribute?
Vagabundo Magazine runs two types of content: magazine and blog. The magazines are published both in print and digitally every two months. About 50% of the content of the magazine is supplied by freelancers. The online blog content is written mostly by a team of columnists, but space is given each Friday for freelancer contributions.
What We’re Looking for – Bi-Monthly Magazine
- Download our editorial calendar and call for submissions document here.
- Don’t send in an article, send us a pitch. Check our advice on how to pitch a travel magazine here.
- Please have a read of our magazine before submitting. We have a fairly specific style and voice and submissions should adhere to that style. Our latest issue of the magazine is found here.
Payment for Bi-Monthly Magazine Contributors
- Cover Story: $200
- Long features: $75-100 (price depends on quality of accompanying images and article placement)
- Short features: $40-80 (price depends on quality of accompanying images and article placement)
- Shutter Spot: $25 per image
- Photo Essay: $75 total
- Payment will be made within 30 days of the publication
- All payments are made by paypal
Freelance Friday Submission Guidelines
- Articles can be submitted either in full edited form or in the form of a pitch.
- Articles must be 100% fresh. No republished material.
- No “top10″ type articles.
- No links promoting a product/service/website(other than personal websites)/etc
- 1st person articles are OK, but make sure they are do not feel “play-by-play” or “dear mom…” blog style.
- Preference will be given to articles with photos, but photos are not necessary.
- We aren’t too restrictive in your word limit or format. We understand that writing is an art and we want to give you as much freedom to write with your style and flow. Don’t stress too much about format, do your thing.
- Can be written in British or American English, but must be in English.
- Articles should have the audience in mind: Independent, well travelled people between the ages 18 ad 55. Adventurous and outgoing. Sometimes budget restricted.
- For advice on how to create a professional looking pitch read “How to Pitch a Travel Magazine“
Payments for Freelance Friday
- Payment will be made within 7 days of publication
- All payments will be made by paypal
- Contributors will be paid between $15-25
- If you publish with us you will be asked to not publish the same article with someone else for 1 year after the publication date.
- You retain the rights to all material published on Vagabundo. Should Vagabundo decide it would like the complete rights to the article you will be contacted, and a price will be negotiated.
- You will keep the rights to all your photos used in the article.
- We require articles that are not under any publication protection and that are 100% original